Mansions in Giffnock

Image of Eastwood House, Giffnock

Eastwood House, Giffnock

The lands of Eastwood were originally owned by the Earl of Eglinton, but in 1845 Thomas Smith a Glasgow merchant bought the land now known as Eastwood Park. The mansion was probably built in the 1850s. In 1864 the estate was bought by Joseph Wakefield of Inglis & Wakefield, who had taken over the Busby Printworks.

In the 1880's and 90's the owner was David Tod of Tod & McGregor Engineering, who had the house enlarged in 1893 with the introduction of bow windows and a new entrance.

Lord Weir bought the estate in 1914; at that time it was described as, "a solid, Victorian mansion". Entrance gates to the park were presented to Lord Weir after 1945. Laurel and Hardy were there to open a fete after the war as well as Danny Kaye. Renfrew County Council acquired the estate in 1968. The mansion house was completely renovated and opened by Viscount Muirshiel in 1971. It is now used by East Renfrewshire Council for corporate training and as a community facility and has become a popular venue for weddings.

Rhuallan House

Rhuallan was one of the first mansion houses to be built on the right-hand side of Fenwick Road and is made of sandstone. The plot of ground was first feued in 1880; in 1892 it was acquired by William Brown, a coal merchant, who appears to have had the house built on it. It remained in this family's possession until 1940 when it passed into the hands of the British Legion.

After World War II it was used as a club for ex-servicemen. The Legion donated it to the First District Council of Renfrew in 1956. From July 1957 until August 1982 it housed Giffnock Branch Library. More recently it has been used as a community facility, housing various clinics, educational classes, and hired out for various functions. In 1914 it was sold by East Renfrewshire Council and is now destined to be a private residence once more.