Mansions in Neilston

Image of Glanderston House in Barrhead

Glanderston House

In the 16th century Glanderston Estate passed from the hands of the Stuart family to the Mure family through the marriage of Lady Janet Stuart to John Mure. In 1697 William Mure, 4th laird of Glanderston, built Glanderston House on a promontory below Glanderston Dam to replace a previous tower house. The estate remained in the Mure family until 1755 when it was sold to a Glasgow merchant John Wilson.

It then passed through several hands including the Spiers of Elderslie and the Cochranes, who were involved in the bleaching industry in Barrhead. The final occupant was Jackson Walton whose son, artist Edward Arthur Walton (1858 - 62) was born there. E A Walton went on to become a member of the 'Glasgow Boys'.

In its prime, Glanderston House was described as a "pretty one of a new model, with several well-furnished apartments, upon a small rivulet adorned with regular orchards and large meadows, beautiful with a great deal of regular planting". By the end of the 19th century it was in ruins and demolished.

Further Reading

Sweeney, Dan, Postscript to the Past, Glasgow, 2015