Mansions in Eaglesham

Eaglesham House

Eaglesham House

Eaglesham House or 'Eaglesham Castle' as it was known locally, was built in 1859-60 by the Gilmour brothers. James and Allan Gilmour had bought the estate of Eaglesham from the Earl of Eglinton in 1844. Allan Gilmour had been a founder and partner in the firm of Pollok and Gilmour, ship owners and timber importers until retiring in 1839.

The mansion was designed in the Scots baronial style with a square tower as the dominating feature. In the grounds of the mansion house there were offices, gardens, two lodge houses, parks and plantations. Unfortunately, this grand mansion was badly damaged by fire in 1954 and was not rebuilt. In later years the Eaglesham House Estate was bought by the Polnoon Estate Company although the coach house continued to be occupied until 1982 . In 1984 planning permission was granted to build the Linn Products factory on the site.