Mansions in Barrhead

Image of Arthurlie House, Barrhead

Arthurlie House, Barrhead

Gavin Ralston, owner of the 'Arthurly' estate, built Arthurlie House in 1780. Henry Dunlop, mill master of the Levern Mill, acquired the estate in 1818 and enlarged the mansion house. The Dunlop Crest, a double-headed eagle, is featured over the entrance to the house. Around 1930, the estate was bought by Barrhead Town Council who used some of the grounds for housing. The mansion itself became a community centre and today the building is still used by the local council.

The Estate of 'Arthurly' was granted to Robert de Croc (Crookston) c1150 and passed by marriage to the Stewarts of Darnley, Cunninghams of Craigend, Pollocks, Gavin Ralston and finally to the Dunlops.

Carlibar House, Barrhead

Carlibar House, originally belonged to James Dunlop and Sons, who owned a number of cotton mills including Levern and Gateside. The house was eventually sold to farmer Robert Glen and his wife Margaret Pollock Glen in 1871; unfortunately Robert Glen died before they could move in and sadly Margaret Glen lived there on her own for almost 50 years.

Later she inherited a vast fortune from her uncle Robert Craig, "Rhoosan" or Russian Rab who owned large thread mills on the River Neva near Leningrad. She used the money for many charities in the town including building a district nurses home in Arthurlie Street, the Glen Halls in Neilston, the gold chain for the provost of Barrhead, and many other causes.

After she died in 1911, her relative Major Pollock, the Bisley shooting champion, stayed there. After his death the house was acquired by the local council and converted to a community centre until its demolition. A new community centre was built on the same site and still serves the local people.

South Arthurlie House

South Arthurlie House was the home of Zechariah Heys who moved to Barrhead in the 1840s and founded the Heys industrial dynasty.  There was a gate at the bottom of the house's private garden which allowed him direct access to his South Arthurlie  Printworks, which he bought in 1841. The house still stands today.