Timeline - Barrhead

BC : Brythonic Celts in Levern Valley

AD : Damnonil at Fereneze; Maeatae on Mearns Moor. (Tacitus)

6th Century : St Conval. St. Fernum. Settlement at Fereneze
6th Century : Arthur Pyndragon in the Levern Valley

10th Century : Gaelic speech still current in Levern Valley.

1163  Walter Fitzalan from Shropshire appointed High Steward of Scotland by David I. He was feudal overlord of Strathgryffe, including Levern Valley.
1170  Sir Robert de Croc granted fief of Levern Valley.

1200  Marion de Croc married to Walter, grandson of the High Steward.
1271  Maccusville granted Farm of Dubbs.
1294  Thomas, the Brewer in Salterland Farm.

1314  Bannockburn. Men of Levern present under the High Steward.
1350  Black Death in the Levern Valley.

1449  Alexander Stewart of Rais. Tower of Rais in existence.
1452  Arthurlie Estate in possession of Walter Stewart of Darnley.

1695-1703  Seven black years of famine in Levern Valley.

1750  Branch parochial school in Lower Levern.
1750  Stewart Wilson builds a cottage on the Lowndes Estate. Name "Barrhead" used for the first time 
1765  Bleaching introduced to Lower Levern
1770  Calico Printing introduced at Corsemill
1773  Fereneze Printfield; later "Boyd's Field"
1780  Levern Mills opened
1786  Charles Tenant used bleaching powder at Waulkmill.
1796  Barrhead Associate Secession Church opened. Irish immigration begins after the Battle of the Diamond

1808  Mansion House of Arthurlie built by Gavin Ralston.
1818  Arthurlie House built on instruction of Henry Dunlop, mill master of Levern Mills.
1819  Demonstration at Meikleriggs Moor, Paisley. Contingent from Neilston present, headed by the Levern Instrumental Band.
1824   Masonic Lodge, "Union and Crown" opened
1825  Levern Mechanics Institution
1830  Barrhead Fair in existence 
1833  Barrhead Gas Company 
1841  Bourock Church opened
1841  South Arthurlie Printfield acquired by Zecariah Heys. Bourock School under "Stumpy" Cochrane. St John's Roman Catholic Church opened. Revd. James Purcell
1842  Bursting of the Glanderston Dam, 30 Dec 1842. Seven people drowned
1843  The Disruption. Barrhead Free Church founded.  Barrhead 
1845-1849 Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Railway. Opened 1849.
1851  Victoria Pit Disaster, Nitshill.  
1851  Bourock Clock and Bell installed. John Shanks was contractor for sheet-metal and plumber work 
1853  Morrisonian Church opened in Arthurlie Street
1856  John Shanks, Plumber in business in Main Street
1857  Police Force in Barrhead 
1861  Barrhead Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association.  
1861  Barrhead Co-op established 
1865  Gorbals Water Works. Gravitational water supply to Barrhead 
1868  Shanks and Company. Tubal Works, Main Street. 
1869  Cardinal Manning visited St John's Roman Catholic School in Water Road
1871  Allan Rodger, Headmaster of Barrhead Public School under the Parish of Neilston School Board. Barrhead Young Man's Christian Association.  
1875  Shanks and Company, Sanitary Engineers.
1876  Cross Arthurlie School. Headmaster, Alexander Jamieson.
1880  Arthurlie Football Club formed
1887  Grahamston Public School opened; headmaster, James Maxton Senior.Residential Giffnock began to develop around the Station and Eastwood Toll
1888  James Maxton M.P. moves to Barrhead  
1889  Toll Bar at Dovecothall abolished.
1892  Kate Cranston marries John Cochrane, Ironmaster and Barrhead's third provost
1897  Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. Celebrations for school children at Fereneze Braes.
1897  Arthurlie defeated Celtic in first round of Scottish Cup.
1897  Last shallow well filled in.

1902  Calico Printers Association acquired Heys Print Works.
1904  Paisley Tramways reached Barrhead 
1904  Levern Mechanics Institution acquired by Barrhead Co-operative Society.
1904  Death in office of Provost Zechariah John Heys.
1906  Barrhead Higher grade School opened as an extension of Barrhead Public School. Allan Rodger, first headmaster 
1906  1st Barrhead Company, The Boys Brigade formed.
1908  1st Barrhead Troop, Boy Scouts formed.
1908  1st Barrhead Company Girl Scouts formed.
1910  Cowan Park bequested by James Cowan of Rosshall