Mearns

Amongst the earliest records for Mearns is a charter of King William the Lion in 1179. The church lands were in the possession of the Monastery of Paisley but a Celtic cross, the Capelrig Cross stood in the Barcapel Estate until 1926.

The earliest centre of population was near to the remaining tower of Mearns Castle, which has survived since the 15th century. The parish church was here and later an inn, the Red Lion, for this was the main coach route to Ayrshire.

Newton Mearns began as a village in the thirteenth century and today is a thriving, shopping centre set in a very attractive housing area, which includes large mansions such as Capelrig and the Greek Thomson villa, Rysland. 

See more information on the history of Mearns by going to the External websites area.