Shops and stores

MacLaren Place, Netherlee

MacLaren Place in Clarkston Road is an interesting building. The building, a long 3-storey tenement with shops at ground level, was built for John MacLaren Lochead, proprietor of the area of old Netherlee House in 1935. The architect was Andrew Wilson of Glasgow and the contractor was MacGlashan & Sons, Bridgeton. The building is notable for its combination of traditional Glasgow details with popular 1930s decorative details. The building is a listed building in the 'B' category.

Before the building of MacLaren Place there had been in existence an older cottage style of tenement building. Next to this building were small cottage buildings, which included Mrs. Prosser's shop. It was a newsagent and had an earthen floor.

Maverton Buildings, 192-210 (even nos.) Fenwick Road, Giffnock

The Maverton Buildings in Giffnock were built around 1908 and used as a local hall in the early part of the twentieth century. The heyday of the Maverton Hall was in the 1920s when it was used for parties, chamber concerts and other events. The halls were actually below ground level. Above the halls were shops and flats, as there are today; the Hall has since been divided into basements for the shops.

The Maverton buildings are very attractive architecturally and have been categorised as 'C' listed.