Cement Works

As well as being known for its quarry industry, Giffnock was also known for its cement industry. A lime pit existed in the present day Florence Drive. It was known as Orchard Lime Mine, as this was on the site of Orchard Farm. The limestone, which was known as Orchard Roman Cement, was obtained from open workings and also from mines. After being burnt in kilns on the site of the present Orchardhill Church, the limestone was carted to the city and ground in mills in the East End. The shale, which was brought to the surface with the cement, was rich in fossils and eagerly sought by collectors. This cement industry came to an end in 1895.