Schools

An image of Barrhead High School in Barrhead

Barrhead High School, Barrhead

The original memorial stone of Barrhead High School, laid by Col. Campbell on the 7th November, 1868 with Masonic honours, contained a glass receptacle with coins, newspapers and photographs of people.

The school started as Barrhead Academy with two teachers offering a Secondary Education in Latin, French, Mathematics and Science. Its first headmaster was also manager of Barrhead Gas Co.

An image of Belmount House School in Mearns

The Academy developed into Barrhead Public School under Allan Rodger, appointed in 1870. It was originally a "subscription school" and was built on ground feued from the Earl of Glasgow.

Belmount House School, Mearns

Belmont House School, formerly "Broom House", is situated in Sandringham Avenue, Whitecraigs. Broom House, built in 1840 and possibly designed by David Hamilton, was the birthplace of Margaret, Duchess of Argyll. It is a 2-storey, Georgian mansion and is now a category "B" listed building.

In 1889, the House of Broom was the seat of Allan Pollok, esquire, of Lismany, Ballinsasloe, Co. Galway. He was the representative of a family, which has long connections with East Renfrewshire and especially with the district of Mearns. His father, the late Allan Pollok of Fa'side (1851), was the descendent of Allan Pollok, who held the estate of Broom in 1700.

An image of Busby Primary School

Belmont House School for Boys was opened in September 1925, in a private house in Greenhill Avenue, Giffnock by its founder and first headmaster, G.A. Montague Dale. This small school was probably then the first and only private school for boys on the south side of Glasgow.

In 1933 Mr Dale, in order to fulfil his ambition of founding a full size preparatory school, acquired Broom House. The name "Belmont" is, in fact, the amalgamation of the Christian names of Mr Dale and his wife - Beryl and Montague.

Busby Primary School

Busby District School opened in 1876 with 540 pupils. It was totally destroyed by fire in 1900. The new school, built on the site of the original school, was formally opened by Mr. John Robb, J.P., the Chairman of the School Committee, on 12th February 1904.

An image of pupils at Grahamston School in Barrhead

Today the Busby School building is a category 'B' listed building; it can be described architecturally as free Renaissance style. The school started out as an elementary school, later providing various forms of secondary education. In 1939 the school was divided into Infant, Junior, Senior and Junior Secondary departments. These distinctions remained until 1962 when the school became Busby Primary School.

Grahamston School, Barrhead

Before Grahamston School opened in Barrhead in 1887, Barrhead Academy was the fashionable choice of school. The Academy, which began in Water Road in 1871, was later run under the guidance of Allan Rodger, who was appointed in 1870.


Grahamston School quickly gained a good reputation and took over from the Academy in terms of popularity. The headmaster of Grahamston School was James Maxton, father of the famous Glasgow M.P. of the 1920's and 30's, James Maxton Jr.

Mearns Primary School, Mearns

An image of Mearns Primary School in Mearns

With the passing of the Education Act of 1872, church schools were handed over to School Boards, and education was made compulsory up to the age of 13. The Mearns School Board held its first meeting on 29th March 1873. An educational census taken in May 1873 revealed that of 576 school age children in the parish 180 were not attending any school. The Board set about having a new school built. The ground for the proposed school was donated by Mr James D. Hamilton of Greenbank.  In 1875 their new head teacher was Mr Hunter. The school was opened in September 1876.

Thornliebank Primary School

Thornliebank Public School was opened in 1877 under Eastwood School Board. It had 500 children and was built on land in Main Street acquired from Sir John Maxwell of the Pollok Estate. The school burned down in February 1895 when the pipes froze.

As early as 1815, James Crum of Thornliebank Printworks provided a Sunday School for his Irish workers run by a Catholic teacher. Walter Crum opened the first "public" school, the "one penny" school where head teacher, Mr McNab, taught 200 children with 4 pupil teachers.

An image of Thornliebank Primary School

The new school, a "B" listed building by the architect W.G. Rowan, opened on 5th January 1897 and took on Secondary education as well from 1899 - 1905.

Uplawmoor Primary School

The former primary school, built in 1877, originally had a little central tower on its roof. There is now sheltered housing on what used to be the playground. A new Primary School was built in 1968 but the old, school building remains, converted into private houses.

An image of Uplawmoor Primary School