Private Housing

Image of Kate Cranston's House, Carlibar Road, Barrhead

Kate Cranston's House, Carlibar Road, Barrhead

This was the marital home of Kate Cranston, the Glasgow Tearoom entrepreneur and John Cochrane, Ironmaster and Barrhead's third Provost. Kate Cranston was the owner of several Glasgow tearooms at the end of the 19th Century. In 1896, she brought in George Walton and Charles Rennie Mackintosh to work on the interiors of her 'artistic' tearooms. Both designers were of immense talent and their names are now synonymous with Scottish Art Nouveau. The interiors were designed in the characteristic 'Glasgow Style'.You will find more information on this house on the Barrhead Heritage Trail website. Follow the link in the External Websites area on this page.

Eaglesham Conservation Village

Gilmour Street in Eaglesham conservation village is named after the Gilmour family who were the owners of the Eaglesham estate at the time. They were also founders of the firm Pollock & Gilmour, having bought the estate from their business earnings in 1844. When Allan Gilmour inherited the estate in 1858, he refused planning permission for the local rail link to be extended. This had the long-term effect of not only preserving the original "planned" look of the old village, but also to an absence of investment, causing a steep population decline in the short term.

Thumb Flats, Giffnock

After the construction of Eastwood Toll, which replaced the old crossroad (Nellie's Toll), the vacant site that was left, was nicknamed "The Thumb" by locals because they considered it an eyesore.
A postcard of Gilmour Street in Eaglesham conservation village

The District Council decided that the site should be used for a private housing development. This decision coincided with the British Festival of Architecture and so they decided to launch a competition for the site based on architectural merit.

The winner was the Dunlop Partnership in association with Stephen Elliot and McLaren Properties. Their winning design is a development of 40 retirement flats in 2 villa blocks. The 5-storey villa blocks are connected by a 2-storey link, which forms a protected courtyard within the site.

The Glasgow Herald reported that, "the striking design is assertive enough for the development to become a landmark". The building was officially opened in the spring of 1987 and is still known locally as The Thumb.

Unitas Building, Thornliebank

The Co-operative movement in Thornliebank began in 1861 when a number of villagers decided to set up their own store. Walter Crum provided the premises. After ten years of success, a site with a frontage on Main Street was rented from Alexander Crum. On this site a two-storey building was erected, and by 1886, as well as a coal department it had a dairy.  
An image of the Thumb flats at Eastwood Toll in Giffnock

In 1905 the Co-operative Society erected a 3-storey tenement on Main Street; this is the present day Unitas Buildings.

Broom Estate Houses, Mearns

The expansion of Glasgow towards the suburbs resulted in a building boom as expanding railway and tramcar services in the 1920s encouraged the commercial and professional classes of Glasgow to move out of the city and into the countryside.

On the northern edge of Mearns, parts of the Broom estate began to be offered for feuing, and a number of individually designed houses were built on Roddinghead Road and Lethington Road. In the 1930s bungalows appeared all along the Kilmarnock Road between Newton and Broom.

An image of the Unitas Building in Thornliebank

The biggest development of this period in Broom, however, was Mactaggart and Mickel's Broom Estate, a speculative venture heavily advertised as "an experiment in estate development which will silence critics of modern housing schemes" for its efforts to preserve the natural beauty of the original estate while providing prestigious modern housing. The houses were very much of the period, using smooth cement exterior finishes, rounded corners and metal-framed windows.

Mactaggart and Mickel were careful to stress the exclusive nature of the scheme: "...we realised that beauty in itself was not sufficient to maintain property value. We therefore fixed minimum values for the different areas...There can be no question of a costly house being built close to a house of much less value".