Public Buildings

An image of the Municipal Chambers and Burgh Court Hall in Barrhead

Municipal Chambers and Burgh Court Hall, Barrhead

Barrhead became a burgh in terms of the Burgh Police (Scotland) Act 1894. It was now in charge of running its own affairs and, therefore, needed an administrative centre. Zechariah John Heys, the town's second Provost, gifted the land, which lay between his house in Bank Street and his property in Main Street.

The architects, McWhannell and Rogerson, designed an impressive red sandstone suite of buildings in a Scots Baronial style, consisting of the Council Chambers and the Burgh Treasurer's office; a short lane ran between them and the Burgh Court Hall. Mrs Margaret Pollock Glen of Carlibar gifted the Statue of Justice, which stands over the door. The clock situated in the tower was a gift from the fourth Provost of Barrhead, Hugh Paton. The interior design, decoration and woodwork were completed to a high standard, with the Court Hall ceiling being of particular note.

Although no longer used for their original purpose these buildings remain the finest pieces of architecture in Barrhead.

More information can be found on this building and other buildings in Barrhead on the Barrhead Heritage Trail website. To access this website go to the external websites area.