Library Buildings

Image of the Crum Memorial Library, Thornliebank

The Crum Memorial Library, Thornliebank

The Crum Library was built from funds raised in Thornliebank village to commemorate Alexander Crum of the Thornliebank Printworks, who died in 1893. Apart from being the main employer he was the Parish's main benefactor, contributing to housing, the village club, education, leisure facilities, Thornliebank Parish Church and other worthy causes.

The library, formally opened on 5th January 1897, was designed by the Scottish architect Sir Rowand Anderson.

Duff Memorial Hall, Busby (now Busby Community Library)

Image of the opening of the Duff Memorial Hall in Busby

As a memorial to their sons Lieut. John Mitchell Duff and Lieut. William Duff, both killed in the First World War, the Duff family, prominent members of the Busby community, presented the village with the Duff Memorial Institute, 1921/22. The family commissioned painting of the brothers which now hang in the halls. One of the paintings, that of John Duff has been digitised by The Public Catalogue Foundation and included on the BBC's Your Paintings Website. To access this website go to the External Websites area.

The Institute housed baths (later removed), a library, a reading room and a social room; in 1953 the library was incorporated into the Renfrew County Library Service, later East Renfrewshire.

Mr William Duff was a well-known figure in Busby. He held the office of Session Clerk in Busby West Parish Church for 36 years from 1894 - 1930. When he died in 1934 Mrs Duff gifted the Communion Table and chairs to the church in his memory.

The Duff Memorial Hall now houses Busby Library and Halls.