Hunting Lodges

Image of Polnoon Lodge, Eaglesham

Polnoon Lodge, Eaglesham

Polnoon Lodge was originally a hunting lodge of the Earls of Eglinton. It was built around 1733 by the 9th Earl and renovated by the 12th Earl of Eglinton sometime around the 1790s. When the Gilmour brothers Allan and James bought the Eaglesham Estate from the 13th Earl, they lived in the lodge until they moved to Eaglesham Mansion House which they had built in 1859/60.

In the 1920s the lodge became a temperance hotel and remained as such until 1957 when it was listed in the Valuation Rolls simply as an hotel. 

The sale catalogue of Eaglesham Estate for 1927 describes Polnoon Lodge when a Temperance Hotel, as containing an entrance hall, two sitting rooms, dining room, drawing room, lavatory, kitchen, pantry, scullery, coal house and two bedrooms on the ground floor, with six bedrooms, a drawing room, a boxroom and a bathroom on the first floor, and two attic bedrooms on the second floor.

After the hotel closed in 1960 it lay neglected for a number of years until Renfrew County Council restored it and used it to provide housing accomodation for elderly people. The restoration work won a Civic Trust Award in 1971.  It is now owned by East Renfrewshire Council and used as a care home.