St Bridget's Church, Eaglesham

Image of St Bridget's Church, Eaglesham

The parish for this church covers a wide area including Busby, Clarkston, Giffnock, East Kilbride and Newton Mearns. St.Bridget's was part of the parish of East Kilbride and the name Kilbride is derived from Bridget.

The church had a parish priest from 1850 and in 1858 a church was built mainly for the Irish immigrant workers in the cotton mills and farms of Eaglesham and Busby. It is located behind "Mayfield", a house in Polnoon St.  In 1876 the local cotton mill burned down and many workers moved away. From 1880 St.Joseph's took over its mission in Busby. In 1987 it was granted independent status and its own priest once more. The church is now a 'C' listed building.