Greenbank Parish Church, Clarkston

Image of Greenbank Parish Church, Clarkston

On 24th January 1881, a meeting was held in Clarkston Tollhouse to consider the erection of a Church of Scotland. Present were the 4 ministers of the surrounding parishes of East Kilbride, Eastwood, Mearns and Carmunnock and 40 laymen.

Ground for the church was gifted by Mr J. D. Hamilton of Greenbank and it was opened 13th April 1884. Its architects were McKissack and William G. Rowan, (1846 - 1924), initially a follower of "Greek" Thomson, who is remembered for his Gothic churches.

The church took its name from the Greenbank estate founded by tobacco lord Robert Allason in the 18th century from, among other things, profits from the slave trade; the Hamilton family owned it from 1797 to 1962.