Busby Parish Church

Image of Busby Parish Church

There was no church in Busby before 1836. Prior to that date, the people of Busby had to travel to the neighbouring churches of Carmunock and Mearns, while others had a longer journey to East Kilbride. However, the demand for a local church was growing. On Sunday evenings a church service was often held in a local school at Sheddons, at which neighbouring ministers preached in turn. In addition, a missionary, called Samuel Kent was employed by Kelly & Co., owners of the print works and Mr. McKean, part owner of the Busby Cotton Mills.

Matters came to a head in 1832 when a cholera epidemic in Busby meant that the residents were prevented from leaving the village to attend their usual churches. For three years, their spiritual needs were met by the ministry of two students, Mr. Robert Niven and Mr. David T Jamieson.

In 1835, a petition with 170 names was presented to the Secession Presbytery of Glasgow asking permission to form a congregation. On the 8th May 1835, the new congregation was constituted by the Rev. William Carswell of Eaglesham as a United Secession Church. The church building itself was opened on 8th of May 1836 having cost £930 to build.